Horrible Repsonse Time

longrenOrgEvenSlowerLongren.org has been really, really slow the last week or so. This site has never been this slow to load, even when I was hosting it out of my house on my cable connection. Granted, I didn’t get the traffic back then that I do now, it still shouldn’t be this slow.

Last time longren.org was being slow as shit, I posted an image of a graph from Site24x7, like I’ve done in this post. The response time in the earlier image is horrible, 4510 ms, but that’s a lot lower than I’m seeing now. As you can see from the image above in this post, the current average response time over the last 7 days is 6614 ms.

This has to be a result of something going on at Dreamhost. I say that because sometimes pages on longren.org will load up in a snap. Most of the time though they take between 15 and 30 seconds to load. Even sending queries to the database is slower than normal. Database queries are usually done being executed within 1 or 2 seconds. Lately, it’s been taking 5 to 9 seconds. Something is definitely up. Perhaps I will submit a support ticket to Dreamhost tomorrow. Yay.


Site Status From Site24x7

Notice the new Site Status link at the top of this page? That page shows the current response time of this site and site availability over the last 7 days. It’s really a very simple page. Nothing on it except for an iframe that grabs the site status from the Site24x7 servers.

Previously, Site24x7 only had the option to “Make Public” an entire group of sites being monitored by a given user. Now they’ve added the ability to “Make Public” individual sites within a users profile. So, instead of getting the status for a list of 5 or 6 sites, I can now display the status of this site and this site alone on this page.

I had requested a “Make Public” option on an individual site basis a couple weeks ago. I think they pretty much jumped right on it, I wasn’t expecting to see this feature ready to go so quickly. Nice work guys. 🙂 I’ve also submitted a couple other suggestions to them, which they seemed to like very much. Hopefully I’ll see those implemented too.

Since we’re on the topic of site monitoring, I came across another option besides Site24x7 today. It’s called Mon.itor.us. It looks really nice, but is sort of difficult to use. It’s interface isn’t very straight forward and feels really cluttered. They do have some nice features though such as reporting and a high level of customization.

I’ll be sticking with Site24x7. It’s cleaner, quicker, and they’ve used some of my suggestions. 🙂

UPDATE: I should have mentioned this before. Creating a “Site Status” page like mine is only possible if your theme will allow it. Some themes are simply too narrow for an effective status page to be created.


Poor Site Performance

Poor Response TimeTake a look at the photo shown there. I don’t like it, at all. I’ve been using Site24x7 for the last few days to monitor various websites I run. It’s really handy and has brought to my attention a few things I wasn’t expecting. Namely, this site performs very poorly, which I’ve noticed more and more in the last few weeks.

OK, this site, longren.org, is hosted at Dreamhost. The Slackware Blog is of course, hosted at wordpress.com. And the other site in the image, is one for work. The site for work has better “response” times than both longren.org and the Slackware Blog. This took me by surprise because the work site is hosted on a Qwest DSL 1Mbit line.

Poor Response Time ComparisonI have a feeling the poor response time is mostly due to grabbing data from external sources, such as Google and Blogrolling. However, I don’t really include much content from external sources. Perhaps the small number of images causes this site to have much slower response times. The Slackware Blog and the work site are very light on images compared to this site. I never post images in posts at the Slackware Blog.

Anyway, I guess a 4500 millisecond response time isn’t too terrible, it’s about 4.5 seconds. Over the last couple days, the response time has gone down to around 2500 milliseconds, or 2.5 seconds. This site does have a larger amount of data to pull for every page, so I guess increased response times here are to be expected. Maybe I’m just worrying about nothing.