Google Web Accelerator was announced today on the Google Blog:
This calls out loud and clear for a way to optimize time. One mundane time-waster we all contend with, for example, is waiting for web pages to load. The tantalizing promise of a web page is only seconds away. But even on broadband, the wait’s too short to do something else – and just long enough to be irritating. Let’s face it, those seconds add up.
As you may have noticed, we’re slightly obsessed with speed around here. When you search on Google.com, your results are returned to you within fractions of a second. And now comes Google Web Accelerator. After you download it, we hope you’ll enjoy that same Google-fast experience across the rest of the web. After all, seconds add up to minutes.
Looks pretty neat. I thought it only worked in Internet Explorer to begin. After installing it however I noticed it showed up in Firefox too! That’s kick ass that Google is building support for Firefox in their tools now too. I knew this time would come soon. Pretty neat!
HOWEVER, when Google Web Accelerator is enabled, I’m unable to post entries to this blog and a few other things. I also can’t login to site that sets a cookie or temporary session id when it’s enabled. Gonna have to read a bit more about it. And…I dunno about Internet Explorer and I don’t care.
Well, now what?
Work with Me
I'm available for hire and always taking new clients, big and small. Got a project or an idea you'd like to discuss? Startup plan but no developer to make it happen? Just get in touch, I'd love to see if I can help you out!
Leave some Feedback
Got a question or some updated information releavant to this post? Please, leave a comment! The comments are a great way to get help, I read them all and reply to nearly every comment. Let's talk. 😀
7 thoughts on “Google Web Accelerator”
I haven’t had any problems since installing it. I use firefox also. I don’t think I have had problems with posting or anything with cookies. Actually now that I think about it, I had to re-login to some sites, but since then its fine.
using Google Web Accelerator fucks with PHP.
Causes PHP to see incorrect $_SERVER[‘php_self’] and $_SERVER[‘REQUEST_URI’].
My site stats code doesn’t work to well when the accelerator is turned on.
hmm… I am seeing trouble with a forum I visit. It messes with the posts since last visit number…
o well… I’m sure they will get an update out soon.
ehh… I have stopped using it. After reports of people being logged in under other people usernames in big forums because Google servers the cached pages it has from some sites…
The story is on Google Blogoscoped….
heh, that’s kinda funny. I knew something definately wasn’t exactly as it should be. Perhaps there’s no way around that problem. I’d expect google or someone will eventually come up with a solution.
Read this BetaNews article and you’ll steer clear of Google’s Web Accelerator, at least in its current incarnation.