I noticed last month that my Blogpulse Profile page was no longer staying up to date. According to them, my last post was on August 25th. I sent an e-mail asking if something was up on their end or if there was some problem on my end.
I finally got an e-mail back yesterday. It seems some code on this site was preventing their crawler from indexing anything. I’m not gonna post the code, who knows what it’ll do if I try posting it. The code basically looked like an HTML comment and contained the text “CDATA”.
Sure enough, the offending code in the e-mail was easily found when viewing the source at this site. I was sure something was wrong on the Blogpulse side of things, I couldn’t think of any changes I had made that would affect their ability to index this site. I was wrong.
I had switched the contact form over from WP-ContactForm to Intouch. I wanted to give Intouch a shot because it made use of AJAX mostly. It worked well so I stuck with it. Turns out Intouch was the source of the bad code that prevented the blogpulse crawlers from indexing me.
After reverting back to using the WP-ContactForm plugin, everything looks good. The offending code can no longer be found here. Still waiting for my Blogpulse Profile page to update though. I’d expect it to be back in sync by the end of the weekend.
I wonder what other blog services have been unable to crawl this site due to that code.